"moist"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 7 15:07:55 UTC 2011

On Nov 7, 2011, at 6:45 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Well, Civil War rookies were widely known as "fresh fish," not because
> of any  moisture but because they were brand-new and stupid.
>
> The prison use is almost as old.

I've never spent much time in prison, but at the poker table a fish is a weak player, often but not always brand-new, but definitely stupid (at poker, if not life).  I always assumed the allusion was to being suckers--falling for the dissembling of other players or the temptation to overrate one's own hand or ability to play it.  But might it instead derive from the prison usage?  (I can't check, since my HDAS is home and I'm not.)

LH