Quote: Not, sir, from your dictionary (Gilbert Stewart to Samuel Johnson 182[9] [diary entry 1824])

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 3 14:52:02 UTC 2011

At 10/3/2011 10:29 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 10/3/2011 06:06 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>>The Salem Observer is available in the GenealogyBank database, and so
>>I was excited and then disappointed when all my searches failed to
>>find the earlier article. In fact, the issue coverage in the relevant
>>time period seemed remarkably sparse. NewsBank owns GenealogyBank and
>>Readex: America's Historical Newspapers. The database content overlaps
>>because the same digital scans are used sometimes I believe. The
>>ReadEx website seems to say that the number of available issues in the
>>database for the Salem Observer is very small:
>>
>>Salem Observer of Salem, MA has only 31 digitized issues between
>>1823-12-20 and 1836-07-23.
>>
>>But I do not wish to dissuade someone from looking.
>
>You've dissuaded me, since Harvard has only a microfilm, also 1823 to 1836!
>
>Joel

Well, not entirely.

The American Antiquarian Society library seems to have quite a few
more issues than 31!  (Apparently they didn't give their file to
Readex.)  They have "whole" the issues of May 23, May 30, and June 6,
1829.  (One of very few libraries -- actually the only one I can
remember -- that states its issue holdings in its on-line
catalog.)  I might look the next time I'm in Worcester.

Joel