"Luck out"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 16 01:13:38 UTC 2011

--

Given the ellipticalness of the title (if I'm understanding correctly
that it is merely "Lucked Out"), no exact interpretation seems secure in

This example and a number of others were quoted in Mark Liberman's
Language Log posts, and in some appended comments.

To me, the transitive applications of the collocation (e.g., "They
lucked out a victory", "They lucked us out of the victory"/"We were
lucked out of the victory") seem entirely distinct from the intransitive
ones (e.g., "They lucked out and won", "They lucked out and lost"),
although I suppose one can inquire/speculate as to historical
connections. The "adjective" form seems to me to be basically a passive
participle reflecting a transitive application.

-- Doug Wilson