Q: Did Latin's "niger" (black) originate from an African word for the Niger River?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Oct 23 18:45:51 UTC 2011

It is strange that Wright refers to "African" as
a language.  Elsewhere he iterates the argument
that blacks in America can't have an "African"
heritage because they did not (where they came
from) refer to the continent as "Africa" and had
come from various regions with various
cultures.  (In support of his 2002 thesis that
"African-American" is incorrect and outdated, "Black" is correct and in.)

Joel