another reversal

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 25 15:12:02 UTC 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 10:05 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> Somewhat in the "archaic" sense of 'suspect' (OED doubt v.6b).
>
> --Charlie

Well, the earlier examples with "doubt" definitely allow that earlier 'suspect' sense, e.g.

It never occurred to me to doubt that your work...would not advance our common object.                                               Darwin, cited in Jespersen (1917)

But I think by now it's more likely a can't-keep-track-of-all-those-negatives phenomenon (as with "miss not", "too…not", "keep from not Xing", and other hypernegations we've discussed), as Victor was suggesting.  Other modern examples with "doubt":

One senior White House official said no one ever doubted that Mr. Reagan would allow Mr. Meese’s move to the Justice Department to deprive him of a trusted adviser who had served him in his 1980 campaign and later as counselor to the President.
--N. Y. Times article "Politics and the Attorney General", 4/21/85

There is no doubt that the commissioner will not give Pete an impartial hearing.
--Pete Rose’s lawyer Reuven Katz in radio interview, 8/24/89, expressing his
(perhaps premature) confidence in Commissioner Bart Giamatti’s fairness

LH