Toward an American Dialect Standard (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Oct 31 15:08:32 UTC 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Behalf Of
> Tom Zurinskas
> Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2011 10:17 AM
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
> Subject: Toward an American Dialect Standard
>

> I am entertaining guests who have a heavy duty dialect.  I mostly do
not
> understand what they are saying.  They have heavy duty ideolects as
well which
> compounds the problem.  This is not good.  How can we fix this?

Put itchy sheets on their bed and tell them it will get worse unless
they straighten up and fly right.

Seriously, Tom, is this how you treat company?  Correct their
pronunciation?   Are  you trying to ensure that they don't come back for
another visit?