White and red beers

Thu Sep 1 07:28:41 UTC 2011

At this point, I think a lot of this is personal experience. For example, I never order a weizen or weissbier unless it's part of the name, but I will order hefeweizens and whites. I often ask for a hef, and hear bartenders sometimes say heffie (spelling unknown).

(Wit has the odd problem that pronouncing it as "vit" makes it sound like "wheat," though I doubt this will ever be a confounding issue.)

My comment about beer and ale being interchangeable with reds and browns is just that I think that's how people refer to them. For example, I don't consider a red beer an "ale" so much as a red regardless of whether I call it beer or ale.

BB