float, n.

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 4 09:40:01 UTC 2011

The OED definition of a festival/parade float is OK, but it only has two
quotations:

14. b. A platform on wheels, having a spectacular display arranged upon it,
> used in a procession.
>
> 1888    Boston (Mass.) Jrnl. 13 Sept. 2/4   A parade two miles long was
> composed of gay floats of all sorts of food-supplies.
> 1889    Pall Mall Gaz. 3 Oct. 6/3   A series of Floats representative of
> the Seven Centuries of the Mayoralty of London.

For one, it can be easily antedated. But there is no shortage of more recent
citations with "floats" of all kinds in American parades or processions.

http://goo.gl/ZHdBC
Grand Opening of the Northern Pacific Railway. Celebration at St. Paul,
Minnesota. The Eastern Terminus. September 3, 1883
p. 33

> But the leading feature of the day was the exhibit made by the Chicago, St.
> Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad Company, "the Royal Route." The passenger
> department of this route was represented by a large float drawn by six
> Norman gray horses, furnished by the C. N. Nelson Lumber Company. On the
> sides of the float were banners stating: "No change of cars East to
> Chicago, South to Des Moines, or Southwest to Omaha and Kansas City." The
> banners on the top of the float announced that, "The Royal Route is the only
> route running dining cars and smoking room sleepers on all trains between
> St. Paul and Chicago." and surmounting these banners was a large map.
> showing the line of the N. P. R. R. from Portland to St. Paul in connection
> with the Royal Route.

http://goo.gl/9OWkN
Young Ireland: A Fragment of Irish History, 1840-1850. Volume 1. By Sir
Charles Gavan Duffy. 1880
p. 345

> Wagons, capacious "floats *" *brought from the city, and the country carts
> used in agriculture, were all employed and were all found barely sufficient
> to accommodate the people.

http://goo.gl/vTU6W
The American Stationer. Volume 12 (16). October 19, 1882
Philadelphia's Bi-Centennial. (From our regular correspondent.) p. 580/1

> In the evening there will be a series of tableaux exhibited on thirty-seven
> floats, illustrating historical scenes, impersonations of the most
> illustrious women of the world. Some will illustrate a Persian epic poem,
> which is appropriate to the celebration.

http://goo.gl/Ce9wL
Crescent City Illustrated. Edited and compiled by Edwin L. Jewell. New
Orleans: 1873
Grand State Pageant. p. [unnumbered]

> The pageant will be divided in Five Grand Dvisions [sic], which will form
> as follows:
> THE FIRST DIVISION— Will comprise all foot maskers, (in ranks of four), and
> will form on the South side of Canal street, their right resting on St.
> Charles street, extending toward the swamp.
> THE SECOND DIVISION— Comprising all maskers in open or private carriages,
> will form on St. Charles street, the right resting on Canal street.
> THE THIRD DIVISION— Comprising all maskers in vans, floats, milk-carts and
> other public vehicles, will form on Camp street, their right resting upon
> Canal street.
> THE FOURTH DIVISION— Comprising all masked horsemen (in sections of four),
> will form on the south side of Canal street, their right resting upon Camp
> street, and rear extending toward the river.
> THE FIFTH DIVISION— Comprising all stragglers, late comers and subjects not
> elsewhere provided for, will form on the North side of Canal street, their
> right resting upon Chartres street, and rear extending toward the river.

John James Audubon. p. [unnubered]

> This magnificent pageant was composed of seventeen immense *cars* or *
> floats*, fifteen of which bore groups of from five to figures.

VS-)