New bad-taste milestone

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Sep 9 14:19:50 UTC 2011

        This looks to me strongly like a spelling error for "cachet."

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Garson O'Toole
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:49 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: New bad-taste milestone

Jonathan Lighter wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/ben-jerrys-reveals-flavor-schweddy-balls-214550438
.html

The AP article contains the following sentence:

The ice cream flavor aims to cash in on the nod-and-a-wink premise of
the skit, and on the cache of the show.

If "cache" is replaced by "cachet" then I can understand this
sentence. But I do not know any sense for the word cache that fits.
The story has been reproduced at several news outlets and the spelling
has not been altered.

Accent marks could be used to make cache sound like cachet, and accent
marks are sometimes stripped out of text. But the parallel structure
suggests that the writer expects the reader to use the common
pronunciation of cache which is the same as the one used for cash.