coffee grounds/grinds

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 14 18:46:35 UTC 2011

I'm with Wilson--it's "coffee grounds" only, for me. But I see another
reason for this.

There is a "coffee grind", but it has an entirely different meaning--it's
the coarsness of the ground coffee prior to brewing. And "coffee grounds"
refers to to the dregs /after/ the coffee is brewed, either the ones
remaining behind in the filter, the coffee pot (if boiled or percolated) or
in the coffee cup, if the liquid was not fully filtered. So, if someone
refers to "coffee grinds", I would not cringe, but would rather inspect the
settings on the dial for commercial coffee grinders.

And, while we are on the subject, is anyone up for an informal survey?

[coffee grinder] or [coffee mill] or [both, indifferently] or [both, but
distinct]?

I'm in the fourth category but know people in each of the other three.

VS-)