coffee grounds/grinds

Wed Sep 14 18:58:22 UTC 2011

I got ground and grinds mixed up for years. I finally thought about it and figured it out, but it's a toughie.

One possibility for the difficulty is that past participles aren't normally nouns. That, plus the problem mentioned that "grind" is a noun (and in Hawai'i and perhaps other place, means food).

If you told me that a coffee mill is one of those smallish manual coffee grinding machines or something like that, I would readily believe you and remember it, but generally, I just use "coffee grinder." The word "mill" sounds old-fashioned to me.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA