tree lawns; was Re: Off and on

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 23 20:39:21 UTC 2011

My message came out incomplete because Google servers crashed for a few
minutes. No, not my server or my connection--Google's. No Gmail, no G+, no
Google Translate. Only search was untouched.

The rest of the message was a description of who has the belief (people who
take care of their portion of the "berm") and what mistaken beliefs they
hold (dog urination causes brown spots and they own the lot with no
restriction, so they can tell other people what they can and cannot do).

Cul-de-sacs are almost never owned by the town in any part--usually, the
developer buys the whole subdivision, divides it into lots, then grants the
town the easement on the street they build, before selling the lots along
with the easement. Major roads and numbered routes are different--that's why
town actually needs eminent domain claims to widen most roads, as they need
to convert nearby property from private to public. On a small street, a town
may just regulate the sidewalks (as they did in our neighborhood). If you go
to the original drafts filed with the town/local court, you are more than
likely to find the lot extending to the middle of the street, with the
street marked on top of it. It's not always the case, of course. If the land
is purchased from the state, county or municipality, it may well include
only lots off the street. My parents' house on the Cape only goes up to the
public street on one side and on two other sides it bounds private
properties that /include/ the entire street--the way the lots were divided,
the two streets were carved out entirely from lots on one side, rather than
from the middle. One of those streets is public, the other private--the
difference is that the town has easement on one but not on the other. The
latter actually runs along a course that is completely different than one
marked in town maps. Some of these things are important for insurance
purposes, most are not--if you have no control of the property, you won't
get charged for it (or be insured on it).

VS-)