slush-on-a-shingle, slop on a shingle, mud on a shingle, stuff-on-a-shingle

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 28 20:55:03 UTC 2011

oops, sorry guys.  I hadn't read these messages before posting my hypothesis. (I did check the thread, but the name had changed along the way, so I didn't catch these postings.) Yes, I think "shingle-eating grin" is derived from shit on a shingle, or shit-on-shingles, and that the possibility of "shinola-eating grin" tends to confirm this.

LH