misdemeanant

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Apr 1 16:59:42 UTC 2012

At 4/1/2012 12:11 PM, you wrote:
>Wonder if when it's pronounced in a courtroom setting it gets
>secondary stress on the last syllable, the way "defendant" does on
>the "(d)ant", as we've discussed in prior threads.  (I would
>pronounce both with essentially no stress and a schwa, but it's
>definitely pronounced with an aesh, in the latter case at least.  Of
>course "misdemeanant" would come up a lot less in court than "defendant".

mis-de-mean-ANT?  Not likely -- "Miss Demean, Aunt"?  More likely
mis-de-MEAN-ant, to stress the culpability of the de-fen-DANT.
:-)

I note that the OED has "misfease", but no "misfeasant", just
"misfeasor".  For "mal-", there is no "malfease" -- nor any other
verb!  But there is the "-ant" -- "malfeasant" (n.).

Joel