Fascism in America

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 10 00:38:48 UTC 2012

According to the Yale Book of Quotations, Bennett Cerf's book Try and Stop Me (1944) attributes the following to Huey Long, being asked whether he thought the United States would ever have fascism: "Sure we will, only _we'll_ call it anti-fascism!"

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of David A. Daniel [dad at POKERWIZ.COM]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2012 11:17 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Fascism in America

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying
a cross." This has been floating around the Internet lately, attributed to
Sinclair Lewis, which is apparently bogus as to the letter if not to the
spirit. Does anyone have more information on this? (If this is somewhere in
the archives, sorry, but I didn't find it.)
DAD