George Bernard Shaw denies Shaw-Churchill ticket anecdote (1949) [was Exhibit at Morgan Library in NY etc]

Mon Aug 13 05:00:41 UTC 2012

George Bernard Shaw was contacted by an individual named Derek Tatham
who wished to publish a version of the tickets anecdote. Shaw wrote a
reply to Tatham directly on Tatham's inquiry letter calling the
anecdote "a flat lie". This letter is discussed in the fourth volume
of Shaw's collected letters published in 1988. The date of Shaw's
reply was September 16, 1949.

Cite: 1988, Bernard Shaw: Collected Letters: 1926-1950, Edited by Dan
H. Laurence, Volume 4, [Letter To Derek Tatham; Date: September 16,
1949] Page 856, Viking, New York. (Verified on paper)

[Begin excerpt]

"I intend to use the following story," wrote Derek Tatham (a
journalist ?) to Shaw; "have you any objections? It is said that when
Bernard Shaw's new play . . . was being rehearsed at Malvern, the
author sent Winston Churchill two complimentary tickets suggesting
that the latter may like to use one and give the second to a friend -
if he had one. Mr. Churchill, it is rumoured, thanked the famous
playwright for the tickets and said he would attend the opening
performance. The other ticket he would give to a friend for the second
performance - if there was one." Shaw's reply was written on Tatham's
letter of 15th September.]

The above is not only a flat lie but a political libel which may
possibly damage me. Publish it at your peril, whether in assertion or
contradiction. G. Bernard Shaw

[End excerpt]

Garson