In the NYT Magazine,

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 13 00:59:33 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:
> "apathetically and in a cowardly manner", "in a cowardly and apathetic manner"

Yes. It's not difficult at all.

Unfortunately, I clicked SEND ro quickly. What I'd intended to add is
that I find it hard to see this as some kind of mechanical error.
Rather, it seems, IMO, that he thought it, he typed it, he re-read it,
and he saw that it was good, having no trouble at all with this
unwarranted re-interpretation, re-analysis, and extension of the
add-LY-to-make-an-adverb rule.

"How can this be?!" as one of my former English teachers used to ask.

Well, maybe it's simply an instance of "haplogy." His intention was to
type "cowardlily."

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson