Baseball or Base Ball

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 17 14:27:32 UTC 2012

On Aug 17, 2012, at 12:05 AM, Herb Stahlke wrote:

> I wonder if, like TV, base ball started out with nuclear stress and
> the loss of the space corresponded to a shift to compound stress.  I
> still say ['ti'vi] but I hear ['tivi] pretty commonly.
>
> Herb

As opposed to "TB", which always has nuclear stress on the "B". Or "TD" (a major bank on the east coast).  The latter pronunciation Herb mentions is sometimes orthographically indicated by "teevee".
But I wonder whether there's any evidence for "base ball" ever having been pronounced with stress on "ball".  Certainly it's hard to imagine now, not only for "baseball" but "football", "basketball", "racquet ball", "handball", "matzoh ball", or any other balls.

LH