_Dead End_ is...

Wed Aug 22 20:39:25 UTC 2012

Wikipedia talks about confusing streets in the rat running article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_running).

-----
One of the most extensive uses of this strategy is found in Berkeley, California, where dozens of concrete barriers throughout the city block shortcuts, while still allowing cycling. In Northern Virginia, shortcuts are discouraged by the construction of dead end streets, communities with no outlet, and winding roads designed to confuse, making navigation through the neighborhoods more difficult and time-consuming.
-----

Also, the article on cul-de-sac indicates that "no outlet" can be used for a cul-de-sac, not the more elaborate situation I described (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cul-de-sac).

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA