_Dead End_ is...

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 22 20:49:31 UTC 2012

I've seen three kinds of sign within a mile of driving: "No through
traffic", "Dead end", "No outlet". The last one is by far the most
common (people don't want to talk about dead things). You will also
occasionally see "No access to X-[main] street". But in printed
descriptions, e.g., rules manuals, you will also occasionally see "cul
de sac" as the descriptor of the international dead-end sign--of course,
not every dead end is a cul de sac (yes, there is such a thing--I
believe it is a red rectangle on top of a narrower white rectangle, but
I don't recall if it's on the standard triangular field with the red
border--standard international "warning" or "attention" signs
http://goo.gl/slx9m ; actually, I believe, it's on the large rectangular
background, likely blue).

     VS-)

PS: AHA! My recollection is correct. Here's one complete with the
"dead": http://goo.gl/vNiac

Here's another, without the joke: http://goo.gl/99hzD