You Only Live Once - YOLO

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 26 13:44:47 UTC 2012

On Aug 26, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> I take a look at "YOLO" (possible WOTY candidate?) in my latest Boston
> Globe column, citing Garson on the history of the expanded expression.
>
> http://b.globe.com/yolobz
>
> --bgz

Very nice; I'd only suggest one additional data point for the trajectory, the old commercial for Schlitz beer:  "You only go around once in life so you've got to grab for all the gusto you can." (with possible variants on the wording).  Here's one version of the commercial from 1971:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leKu2vEPvGw
Remember, when you're out of Schlitz you're out of beer.

The "gusto" spot is authoritatively ranked as high as 46th greatest commercial of all time: http://www.drewbabb.com/100-greatest-commercials/commercials-page-five.htm.  And it's not dead; a Google search turns it up in a story about Paul Ryan (http://www.journal-advocate.com/sterling-columnists/ci_21318419_), and in a sermon suggesting that it (and presumably the YOLO movement more generally) represents a paradigm at odds with God's (http://www.faithbasedonfacts.org/main/?q=node/80).

LH