OED: "monkey's wedding"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 2 15:19:45 UTC 2012

On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Nor, to my surprise, is "sunshower" in OED.
>
> JL

Oddly, it wasn't in AHD4 either, but it's in the new AHD5 ('A localized rain shower in which rain falls while the sun is shining'), even though it's hardly a new item.  Like Alice, I've been familiar with the word since childhood, and it's not entirely predictable (the way the "mustard stain" type of non-lexicalized compounds is) even if it is essentially transparent.

LH