OED: "monkey's wedding"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 2 17:30:34 UTC 2012

On Dec 2, 2012, at 10:11 AM, Neal Whitman wrote:

> I learned "the devil is beating his wife" from a neighbor in El Paso, Texas in 1982.
>
> I also note that CCR found "the rain coming down on a sunny day" unusual enough to write a song asking if you had ever seen it.
>
> Neal

I think of sunshowers, at least the northeastern variety (as opposed to where Creedence hails from, perhaps) as not involving rain during a sunny day but a brief episode of overlap, where the sun peeks out during the rain, often leading to a rainbow as well as sunshowers.  Of course CCR was into extreme weather events, not to mention that bathroom on the right.

LH