"cheeseburger slider"

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 22 14:53:37 UTC 2012

To me, calling something a "burger" requires a "bun", which I think is the
domed bread, as well as a patty-like thing in the bun. A chicken cutlet in
a hamburger bun is not a chicken burger, unless the chicken cutlet is cut
to approximate patty size.

A hamburger patty eaten on slices of bread is not, to me, a "hamburger". I
would call it a sandwich.

"Slider", however, is determined by the use of a miniature bun. So lobster
meat on a normal bun is not a lobster burger, but lobster meat on a slider
bun IS a lobster slider.

On Saturday, December 22, 2012, Benjamin Barrett wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<javascript:;>
> >
> Poster:       Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at IX.NETCOM.COM <javascript:;>>
> Subject:      Re: "cheeseburger slider"

> On Dec 21, 2012, at 9:33 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at ATT.NET <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>

> > At 12/21/2012 09:12 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:
> >> The patty rule seems strong. Google Images shows that's what lobster
> >> and uni burgers are.
> >
> > I'm leaning this way too.  A "burger" is something patt[i]ed.
> >
> > Thus if the lobster meat has been diced finely enough, it can be
> > formed into and called a (lobster) burger.  If the lobster meat is
> > more chunky, then it is merely placed into a "lobster roll.".
> >
> > Similarly with salmon and crab -- that which I sometimes eat as
> > "cakes" on a plate could serve equally well when pattied into a bun
> > and called a burger.
> >
> >> By round top, I mean both in the sense of dome-shaped and circular.
> >> I bet both can be considered as contributing factors for burgerness.
> >
> > Isn't it the roundness of the content that signifies a burger, rather
> > than the domeness of the bun?
>

> Indeed, as a kid, most of the hamburgers I had were on sandwich bread.
>
> Also, Wendy's has square patties, but I think that's a mere deviation,
> like a three-legged dog.
>
> Benjamin Barrett
> Seattle, WA

DanG