Heard: "I have _ramped_ and raved!" [NT]

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Dec 24 05:24:10 UTC 2012

On 12/23/2012 5:29 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:
>> MW3 shows "ramp and rage" in a citation exemplifying the verb "ramp".
> What is it that "_ramp_ and rage" means, according to MW3

"Ramp" is like "rage": here is the relevant piece:

"ramp", v. i.:

<<1 a : to be rampant or in the posture of a beast rampant in heraldry
b (1) : to stand or advance with forelegs or with arms raised as if in
menace, anger, or excitement (2) : to move or act furiously : RAGE,
STORM <would ramp and rage and hop about like a veritable Sioux --
Norman Douglas>  c chiefly dialect   : to rush about especially in a
boisterous excited manner>>

Of course there are other senses meaning "climb", "slant", or so.

-- Doug Wilson