"squatawa'd"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 12 19:44:20 UTC 2012

At 2/12/2012 12:37 PM, George Thompson wrote [off-list]:

>>Two Google Book hits tell me that Tena-Squatawa was a great Shawnee
>>chief and prophet, and twin brother of Tecumseh.
>
>Interesting.  Perhaps even significant.  But interesting, anyway.

And even more interesting, they were triplets, but the third died in infancy.

Even more more interesting, if one spells his name "Tenskwatawa"
there is an article (and portraits) in Wikipedia.  He had "a series
of religious visions", and was militant "to extirpate the evils
represented by the Americans."  He was a founder of Tippecanoe, the
location of a Native American confederacy that opposed U.S.
expansion, and the leader there at the time of Harrison's battle
(1811), which started with an attack upon Harrison's army.  (Tecumseh
was not in favor of military action at the time.)

There must be enough material somewhere in all this to publish a
paper explaining "squatawa'd".

Joel