Proper names with apostrophes?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 2 22:18:33 UTC 2012

I don't know how common this is.  But there's a basketball player for St. John's University (NYC) named God'sgift Achiuwa (as he appears in box scores) or God's Gift Achiuwa (as he appears on the web, e.g. in http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/columns/story?columnist=darcy_kieran&id=6480215).  No doubt not the only Christian (I assume) name with an apostrophe in it but I can't think of others I've encountered.   (Maybe it's something about the Big East Conference; a basketball player for rival Providence College a few years ago was named God Shammgod.  Too bad he never got the chance to go man-on-man against God'sgift.)

LH