resurface

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 6 19:54:07 UTC 2012

I recall a comic strip from N years ago. Scene: a school. Announcement
coming over the PA system. (My text here is no doubt much different from
the original, but the structural point is retained.)

(frame 1) With the recent spate of rainy weather, I know that many of you
have been concerned about the resurfacing of the parking lot.

(frame 2) But the forecast is clear and sunny for all of next week, and we
are hopeful that the parking lot will eventually resurface.

This works, of course, because the intransitive and subjectless transitive
senses merge in the gerund construction "V-ing of NP".

Mark Mandel