"say uncle" antedated (?) to 1887

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Jan 8 07:44:10 UTC 2012

--

Interesting.

I see that this passage is in a student periodical, in a section devoted
to little items of current news among dental students. R. E. Drake was
one of these students. I don't know who/what the "little fellow" was:
probably this is some kind of inside joke. I don't think one can know
the referent from this short item. I don't find clear mention of a child
or pet associated with R. E. Drake. Apparently he belonged to a
fraternity and played brass instruments. I suppose he was Rollin Edwards
Drake (b. 1868).

The preceding item with Dr. Martin appears presumably unrelated. I
suppose this is just for humor: some senior student said "flabby"
instead of "clammy", I suppose, ha ha.

-- Doug Wilson