"say uncle" antedated (?) to 1887

Sun Jan 8 22:34:34 UTC 2012

Dave Wilton has a web page on this topic at the Word Origins website here:
http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/site/say_uncle/

Michael Quinion has a webpage on the topic at World Wide Words here:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-say1.htm

Both mention the parrot joke and provide a citation for the Iowa
Citizen on October 9, 1891. Doug Wilson found it and placed it in the
ADS archive in 2005. Here is a citation for the same tale a bit
earlier in the LA Times which acknowledges a source called "Spare
Moments".

Cite: 1891 August 21, Los Angeles Times, A Bright Parrot, Page 8,
Column 4, Los Angeles, California. (ProQuest)

A gentleman was boasting that his parrot would repeat anything he told
him. For example, he told him several times, before some friends, to
say “Uncle,” but he would not repeat it. In anger he seized the bird
and half twisting his neck said: “Say ‘uncle,’ you beggar!” and threw
him into the fowl pen, in which he had ten prize fowls. Shortly
afterward, thinking he had killed the parrot, he went to the pen. To
his surprise he saw nine of the fowls dead on the floor, with their
necks wrung, and the parrot standing on the tenth twisting his neck
and screaming, “Say ‘uncle,’ you beggar! say 'uncle!"

(Typos possible in the original text and mine.)

Douglas G. Wilson wrote:
> I don't find clear mention of a child or pet associated with R. E. Drake.

Inherent in Doug's comment is one possible interpretation. Drake may
have had a young nephew who had not yet said "uncle" to him.

Garson