Einstein said this?

Sat Jul 7 16:09:52 UTC 2012

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb
a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

Barb and George, I've received queries about the quote. It is not in
the key reference for Einstein quotations: The Ultimate Quotable
Einstein (2010) edited by Alice Calaprice. It appears to be a modern
construction.

By 2004 the quote was attributed to Einstein. The Google Books
database has the 2004 book with the quote in preview mode. The words
appear in "Part Two" in a section called "Everybody is a Genius":

Cite: 2004, "The rhythm of life: living every day with passion and
purpose" by Matthew Kelly, Page 80, Fireside, New York. (Google Books
preview)
http://books.google.com/books?id=EkGnRuCfpkMC&q=%22Einstein+wrote%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Albert Einstein wrote, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish
by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing
that it is stupid." The question I have for you at this point of our
journey together is, "What is your genius?"
[End excerpt]

Would like to see other interesting cites, e.g., before 2004.

Garson