(w)ringer

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 15 12:49:56 UTC 2012

That "ass in a ringer" is a spin-off of the phrase "tit in a wringer" refering to washing clothes in a "wringer washer".  Those machines had rollers atop an open wash tub.  After clothes were washed the woman (of course) swivled the two-roller wringer over the tub and lifted the clothes into the wringer hand cranking them through the two rollers (prior to electricity doing it) to screed off excess water before hanging clothes to dry.  Dangerous getting hair or own clothes caught in an electrified wringer.  We actual had one when first married.

>From the Urban Dictionary  "tit in a wringer"
Bothered, bent out of shape, upset, angry. Dates back to wringer clothes washers. Undoubtedly, getting one's tit caught in the wringer would have been quite upsetting.
Yes, dear, so I lost a hundred bucks playing poker. Don't get your tit in a wringer.

Tom Zurinskas, Conn 20 yrs, Tenn 3, NJ 33, now Fl 9.
See how English spelling links to sounds at http://justpaste.it/ayk