(w)ringer

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 15 13:22:42 UTC 2012

Used to be, you got your "tit in a wringer" but your "ass in a sling."

Both mean that you wound up in trouble, not that you made a mistake (which
might have only trivial consequnces).

Both expressions evidently go back at least to WW2, but "ass in a sling"
was long adumbrated by "eye in a sling," lit. an injured, bandaged eye

JL