FW: Supreme Court's Earl Warren reads the sports pages first -- is this from Yale's William Lyon Phelps?

Thu Jun 28 15:12:00 UTC 2012

Great finds, Barry! Thanks for sharing them. Here is a prolix version
of the sentiment from the pen of William Lyon Phelps in 1922.

Cite: 1922 November, Scribner's Magazine, Volume 72, As I Like It by
William Lyon Phelps, Start Page 626, Quote Page 628, Charles Scribners
Sons, New York. (Google Books full view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=zfEqAQAAMAAJ&q=%22sporting+page%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt - condensed version]
Is not this the true reason why so many of the intelligentsia, on
opening the morning paper turn first of all to the sporting page? …
The front page is covered with failures-failures of capitalists and
laborers to avert disastrous strikes, failures of statesmen to bring
peace to the world, … How different is the sporting page, where we
read of the glorious triumphs of Ty Cobb, Sarazen, Sweetser, Tilden,
and Johnston! The sporting page is the Daily Hope. It advertises
success rather than failure.
[End excerpt - condensed version]

[Begin excerpt - complete excerpt]
Is not this the true reason why so many of the intelligentsia, on
opening the morning paper turn first of all to the sporting page? I
remember once, during the war, while travelling on a train, a newsboy
brought in the papers, which were eagerly bought. Sitting near me was
a clergyman in clerical dress, who opened his paper feverishly, and
turned instantly to the sporting page, without looking to see what had
happened in France. Perhaps this habit, which is more common than some
may think, needs no apology. The front page is covered with
failures-failures of capitalists and laborers to avert disastrous
strikes, failures of statesmen to bring peace to the world, failures
in Ireland, failures of stock-brokers, failures of theatre-managers,
failures of husbands, and wives in the art of living together. All of
these groups of people should be experts, and their pathetic failures
are daily and depressingly recorded. How different is the sporting
page, where we read of the glorious triumphs of Ty Cobb, Sarazen,
Sweetser, Tilden, and Johnston! The sporting page is the Daily Hope.
It advertises success rather than failure.
[End excerpt - complete excerpt]

Garson