FW: Supreme Court's Earl Warren reads the sports pages first -- is this from Yale's William Lyon Phelps?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Jun 28 12:29:55 UTC 2012

Barry sent the message below to several ads-l members. I now forward it
to the entire list.

Gerald Cohen

From: Barry Popik [bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:19 AM
Subject: Supreme Court's Earl Warren reads the sports pages first -- is this from Yale's William Lyon Phelps?

What a day. A Supreme Court decision and the NBA draft!
Earl Warren famously said that he reads the sports pages first. The YBQ
and Wikiquote (you can correct them; I can't cite my own work) have
1968, but I also found the quote in 1967.
Also, the spirt of the quote appears to come from Yale's William Lyon
Phelps.
Teddy Roosevelt was credited in 1971, but I haven't found anything to
support this. You can share this with ADS-L and with Yale if you wish.
Barry Popik
Austin, TX
www.barrypopik.com
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/the_sports_page_records_peoples_accomplishments_and_the_front_page_has_noth/
Entry from June 28, 2012

“The sports page records people’s accomplishments and the front page
has nothing but man’s failures”

Many people read the sports section of a newspaper first, even before
the front page. One famous person who did this was Earl Warren
(1891-1974), the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. In
October 1967, Warren explained, “The front page advertises man’s
failures; the sports pages report men’s achievements.” In July 1968,
Warren said, “They say the sports page records people’s accomplishments
and the front page has nothing but man’s failures.”

Warren might have been paraphrasing from Yale University professor