Non-negative 1974 connotation of the word retarded

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 5 15:28:37 UTC 2012

On Mar 5, 2012, at 9:55 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:

> I seem to recall a time when "retarded" was the polite term, having replaced "idiot," " moron," etc.  Then in the 1970s "retarded" gave way to "L.D." and other designations--all of them quickly stigmatized, until now we're left with the highly nonspecific "special."
>
> Charlie

Yes, a classic example of what Pinker calls the euphemism treadmill, which was identified (but not named) by Cicero.  There was also "dummy", which later became taboo on multiple grounds.  "Retarded" (at least when it started) is like "underdeveloped/developing (country)", implying that better days are coming.  I remember also when folks could joke about those
     SLOW
 CHILDREN
    AHEAD
road signs.  And it all reminds me of Officer Krupke...

LH