Pre-Archaic Industrial Jargon

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at COX.NET
Sat Mar 10 08:37:17 UTC 2012

On 3/10/2012 2:29 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:

> Aside from "armored cavalry", which at least used to be a common
> reference to tank divisions, particularly in the WWII period, I've also
> heard "air cavalry" on more than one occasion. In contrast, troops using
> armored transports that are /not/ tanks, are AFAIK referred to as
> "motorized infantry". There is also some traditional status distinction
> between cavalry and infantry both in the US and Commonwealth Nations armies.

To me (I am and was neither) "cavalry" implies on (or in) a "machine:
(horse, tank) that is itself a part of the weapon, while "infantry"
implies boots on the ground, actually occupying space.  Helicopters,
trucks, landing craft, and so forth are ways to efficiently get the
boots to the ground they need to occupy.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: