How many layers of obfuscation on the average euphemism?

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at COX.NET
Tue Mar 13 23:28:28 UTC 2012

On 3/13/2012 6:15 PM, Baker, John wrote:

> The origin of "fire," in this sense, is unknown.  Might it have come
> from the older term, "discharge," as a pun?  "Discharge," I believe,
> derives from dis-charge (an employee who is dismissed has his charge
> withdrawn), but one can also speak of discharging or firing a gun.
> The logic and timing make sense, though I don't know of any evidence
> for this theory.

First one I've ever heard and matches well with the connotation I
remember from my youth, the sense of "go away and don't come back" with
need for explanation.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: