Heard on The Doctors: _bug juice_

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 15 16:25:34 UTC 2012

NewspaperArchive and Google Books have a handful of exx.of "mystery meat"
 from the late '40s (usually referring to meat that is actually
"mysterious" for some reason, e.g., glows in the dark, literally of unknown
provenance - human flesh, perhaps? etc.)

The slang term seems not to appear clearly in print until the mid-50's and
isn't commonly recorded till the '70s.

In early use, "mystery" (unrecorded with "meat") referred specifically to
hash.  It seems to have been fairly well known.  But the popularity of a
more inclusive "mystery meat" is much more recent.

JL