more -gates

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Mar 22 13:50:34 UTC 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 11:13 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>>>
>>> The "slutgate" has already gone by, in case you missed it.
>>>
>>> Now we have the overheating iPads 3s that are being dubbed "heatgate".
>>
>> "Crate-gate."
>>
>> Mitt's doggie-transport scandal.
>>
>> "Watergate" was in 1972. Please, please let this crap die!
>
> Today, of course, brought Etch-a-Sketch-gate.
>
> --bgz
>
> -
Unlike Jon, I have no problem with -gate proliferation, but I would prefer (wearing my ill-fitting prescriptivist hat) that it be restricted to scandals involving cover-ups, not applied to mere scandals, let alone (as in this case) gaffes and faux pas.  Rush Limbaugh's unpleasant comments didn't rise or fall to the level of "slutgate" as far as I'm concerned (or even "'slut'gate"), and Romney's aide's ill-chosen reference to the Etch-a-Sketchy nature of his boss's political convictions don't constitute a -gate either.

LH