more -gates

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Mar 22 15:10:26 UTC 2012

At 3/22/2012 09:50 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>Unlike Jon, I have no problem with -gate proliferation, but I would
>prefer (wearing my ill-fitting prescriptivist hat) that it be
>restricted to scandals involving cover-ups, not applied to mere
>scandals, let alone (as in this case) gaffes and faux pas.  Rush
>Limbaugh's unpleasant comments didn't rise or fall to the level of
>"slutgate" as far as I'm concerned (or even "'slut'gate"), and
>Romney's aide's ill-chosen reference to the Etch-a-Sketchy nature of
>his boss's political convictions don't constitute a -gate either.

Perhaps Romney's one-question press conference yesterday, in which he
explained that the nature of his campaign (staff, funding, states
he'll go to) would change when he got the nomination, but that his
policies and positions as a "conservative Republican" would not, is
the beginnings of the Etch-a-Sketch-gate coverup?

For Romney's words,
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/21/romney-tries-to-move-spotlight-off-etch-a-sketch/

Joel