Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 25 00:44:03 UTC 2012

Best I can tell, that's true in England.

Consider the entry for member 10.

>  10. A person formally elected as a representative to a parliament or
> other legislative body. More fully Member of Parliament, (in the
> United States) Member of Congress, etc.

"Elected" means lower house--not exclusive to lower house in other


On 3/24/2012 8:13 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
> On 3/24/2012 10:05 AM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>> It seems to me "congressmen" is an appropriate term for members of either
>> the National Assembly or the Senate.
> For what it may be worth, it seems to me that in the US "the US Congress
> usually (in my experience) refers to both houses, but "Congressman"
> refers to a member of the House of Representatives.
> In English (and Canadian) usage does "MP" refer usually to the lower
> house?  (I think it does.)

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list