_Striped_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 26 00:58:06 UTC 2012

OED Online:

striped, _adj._
Pronunciation:  /straIpt/

This monosyllabic pronunciation is the only one sanctioned by the OED
Online, apparently, and this is also the only pronunciation found in
the 2nd ed.

Absolutely *amazing*!

I've used the dissyllabic pronunciation, [straIpId] all of my life,
with no idea that it was, at best, according to Websters's New World
and to Merriam-Webster, only an alternative pronunciation and one
peculiar to only a few regional U.S. dialects, at that.

The other day, my wife showed me a new blouse that she described as
[straIpt], when any fool could see that it was, in fact, [straIpId],
motivating me to check this out.

And it's taken me only a quarter-century to become aware of this discrepancy.

Of course, [straIpt] is the only possible form of the PPP of the verb,
_stripe_, even for me.

--
-Wilson
-----