FW: Butt Hole Road -- (mesage from J. Peter Maher)

Fri May 4 02:07:45 UTC 2012

Below is a link that points to the page of the book that discusses
Butt Hole Road followed by a relevant excerpt.

Title: Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks
 Author: Ken Jennings
Year: 2011
(Google Books preview)

Short link:
http://goo.gl/VmfLS

Long link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=jZkKRmFRXPsC&q=%22butt+hole%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
But name notoriety can be a two-edged sword. For every Half.com,
Oregon, happily taking big checks and a new high school computer lab
from a money-mad dot-corn, there's a Butt Hole Road in Conisbrough,
South Yorkshire. Cabbie Peter Sutton, who lives on the road, told the
Daily Mail that the road's cheeky name was a big draw for him when he
first moved there—he couldn't believe the previous owners were moving
out because they didn't like the name. But the novelty soon wore off,
thanks to the endless stream of prank calls, skeptical delivery
drivers, and busloads of tourists posing for pictures while mooning
the street sign. The street was named for a communal rain barrel (or
"water butt") located on the spot long ago, but history didn't matter:
in 2009, the neighbors collected the three-hundred-pound fee and the
city changed the name to the much less distinctive Archers Way.
[End excerpt]