1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Tue May 8 23:41:39 UTC 2012

So, there I was last night watching Big Bang Theory, the episode with
Stephen Hawking in it. At the end he is telling Sheldon that his (Sheldon's)
findings on the Higgs Boson particle are wrong. He says there is an
arithmetic mistake on page 2, "quite the boner," he says. This, of course,
would have sent Jake - over at Two and a Half Men - into hysterics: "Hawking
said boner!" And it may well set off a discussion some 60 years hence on the
ADS-L on the order of, "How could Hawking - Hawking! - have said something
so rude, even in those permissive days?" We, of course, being serious adults
of these times, know that he meant it was a really stupid mistake and that
the usage makes no reference at all to an erection. Those future folks,
however, may reckon boner=erection first (and maybe also something
innocuous, oh yes, here it is, it also meant stupid mistake, but surely the
principal meaning was erection and they were hoping to get away with it
based on its secondary, innocuous meaning... etc.) So you see where I am
winding tortuously my way to: As Baker, John says below, Montana almost
certainly used butthole innocuously, secondary meanings being secondary, in
the manner of Hawking's boner (heheh).
DAD
PS: If "Hawking's Boner" comes to mean public use of a word that has both an
innocent and a rude meaning, I claim it. I suppose it could also be called
an "Archie's Butthole." Anyone want to claim that one?

Poster:       "Baker, John" <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it
mean?
              (UNCLASSIFIED)
---

Actually, my view is that Bob Montana most likely intentionally wrote
"butthole," having in mind some innocuous meaning that is opaque to us.  I
meant that, if there were vandalism, it would have been by his letterer;
vandalism at the syndicate is unlikely, and vandalism at the newspapers
themselves has been ruled out.

John Baker