bias = biased

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed May 16 15:36:02 UTC 2012

A long time ago Neal wrote:

The latest (to me) example of a monosyllabic verb with a lax vowel nucleus
and dental stop coda comes from the movie _The Avengers_, in which Natasha
Romanov says to Bruce Banner:

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

Geoff Nathan wrote about this with the verb "pet" a few years back, but I
get too many "pet" and "petted" hits to have the patience for that search.
However, here are the blog posts I've written on the subject:

<snip>

I admit to not having read them yet as part of my avoiding grading
program, but I've been noticing a pattern among my students, and I'm
wondering if it's phonologically related. Many of them are using "bias" for "biased": He is bias; he is not bias.

---Amy (not a phonologist) West