GoogleBooks settlement

Fri Oct 5 18:30:05 UTC 2012

Victor: Thanks for posting this update on the travails of Google
Books. I thought the following was the most interesting paragraph in
the "Inside Higher Ed" article, but it is not clear how many books
will be removed and how many will be made more accessible.

[Begin excerpt]
According to Tom Turvey, director of strategic partnerships for
Google’s search services division, the basic thrust of the accord is
this: All the books with publisher-owned copyrights that Google
initially scanned into its database from university libraries will now
be either removed from the company’s database or made more easily
available through the Google Books interface, which lets visitors read
20 percent of each book for free.
[End excerpt]