Q: Using the OED's "not yet been fully updated/has been updated" dates?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 16 05:22:23 UTC 2012

There is a greater problem lurking in that "previous edition" info. For
example, the entry for "collocation" carries with it the following warning:

> This entry has not yet been fully updated (first published 1891).

Wow! Since 1891! That's impressive! It also happens to be untrue. While
1.a., 1.b. and 2. appear to conform to this description, 1.c. stands out
because /all/ of its illustrations appear between 1940 and 1963.

> c. Linguistics. The habitual juxtaposition or association, in the
> sentences of a language, of a particular word with other particular
> words; a group of words so associated. Introduced by J. R. Firth as a
> technical term in modern Linguistics, but not fully separable from
> examples in sense 1a.
> 1940 G. L. Trager in Language XVI. 301 Collocation establishes
> categories by stating the elements with which the element being
> studied enters into possible combinations.
> 1940 G. L. Trager in Language XVI. 303 It is now necessary to
> establish the collocations of the various forms to see what their
> functions are.
> 1951 J. R. Firth in Ess. & Stud. IV. 123, I propose to bring forward
> as a technical term, meaning by ‘collocation’, and to apply the test
> of ‘collocability’.
> 1951 J. R. Firth in Ess. & Stud. IV. 124 General or usual collocations
> and more restricted technical or personal collocations.
> 1958 Trans. Philol. Soc. 103 Mutual accompaniment of grammatical
> categories is termed ‘colligation’; an accompaniment of forms, equally
> mutual but not generalisable in grammatical terms, is a ‘collocation’.
> 1963 R. M. W. Dixon Ling. Sci. & Logic 74 The collocation ‘round
> square’ can occur.

So what do these descriptions mean? It's been untouched since 1891,
except the part that obviously has been?

VS-)