apparently I'm a bigoted hypocrite

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 27 23:58:46 UTC 2012

Ignore. Because your correspondent has already missed the point, you'll
only be talking at cross purposes.

He thinks you're saying "If it feels good, do it."

It sounds as though his students are extremely unprepared to compete for
jobs requiring a confident command of standard English (maybe especially in
writing) and he's mad because you're implying that there's no quick fix.
 (I mean,  "no easy way to remedy the situation.")  So that's translated
into an inference that you're saying almost anything goes -  because the
kids have to rely on their own language savvy. (I mean, "sense of
situational appropriateness.").

If there's one thing I've learned from watching TV commercials, there's
always a quick fix. Anything else would be un-American.  So find a quick
fix!

JL