apparently I'm a bigoted hypocrite (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sat Sep 29 04:51:33 UTC 2012

Researcher Gershon Legman included a version of the restroom joke in
the second volume of his compendium. He assigned the joke a date of
1941, but I am not sure what evidence he used. I don't have the book
currently. The text below is from GB.

Rationale of the dirty joke: an analysis of sexual humor
Volume 2
Compiled by: Gershon Legman
Edition 2
Publisher: Grove Press
Year: 1975

[Begin extracted text]
'A Yale man, washing his hands after taking a leak, contemptuously
said to a Harvard man whom he saw neglect this punctilio: "At Yale we
are taught to wash our hands after taking a leak. " The other sneered,
"At Hahvahd we are taught not to piss on our fingers".' (Berkeley,
Cal. 1941.)
[End extracted text]

Google Books shows snippets of the joke in "Ray Ginger's jokebook
about American history" by Ray Ginger with a GB date of 1974. This
version featured a Yale person versus a University of Chicago
graduate.

Bonus Quote Magnet version:
Famous Quotes from 100 Great People (Mobi Reference) By MobileReference

[Begin excerpt]
Young man (seeing Churchill leaving the bathroom without washing his
hands): At Eton they taught us to wash our hands after using the
toilet. Churchill: At Harrow they taught us not to piss on our hands.
[End excerpt]